RESCUE MISSION HISTORY
The Christ Mission Settlement was founded in 1893 by W.J. Price at 408 E. Federal St. in Youngstown, Ohio. Initially the ministry was a learning center for adults and underprivileged children.
In the mid-1900s, The Mission grew and began feeding and housing thousands of homeless men and women each year. Listed below are the milestones that have made The Rescue Mission of Mahoning Valley the remarkable institution that it is today.
RESCUE MISSION OF THE MAHONING VALLEY MILESTONES
The Vindicator’s Annual Readers’ Choice Award in the category of Best Charitable Organization presented to Rescue Mission of Mahoning Valley in September 2020. Launched second phase of capital campaign fundraiser called “Supply Our Shelter” to raise 1.5 million dollars to furnish the “move our mission” construction underway at 1300 Martin Luther King Jr Blvd in Youngstown, Ohio.
The “Move Our Mission” capital campaign broke ground on 10-31-2019 for a new 50,000 sq foot building (6.5 million dollar project. Hosted first “point 5K” fundraiser – a 1,640 foot fun-run at White House Fruit Farm in July. New mission statement adopted. “By God’s grace, the Rescue Mission of the Mahoning Valley exists to proclaim the Gospel of Jesus Christ as we promote accountability and provide food and emergency shelter to men, women and children experiencing hunger and homelessness”
Recognized as “Children’s Advocate Award Honoree” from Akron Children’s Hospital Mahoning Valley at 5th Annual Champions for Our Valley’s Children Celebration. Ceased operations at Distribution Center on Glenwood Ave to focus on the average 130 clients cared for at the Mission each night
The Rescue Mission Ambassador Program is launched, establishing a liaison between individual churches and the Mission. The Mission prepares for growth. Private funding enables the Mission to install a leading-edge computer network linking both buildings to each other and the world.
Two sisters who regularly volunteer transform the Mission’s Family Service Division with a complete renovation of an old office area. Room becomes the “Wee Room,” a play and learning area for our smallest guests. Gift was in honor of their parents.
End-of-the-year figures show increases in meals (13,683), overnight stays (26,886) and clothing (6,151). Due to a lack of space, a new facility is purchased. The Distribution and Volunteer Center is opened at 2246 Glenwood Ave.
A survey in Youngstown indicates 50% of the homeless are children. A new board is formed for the New Life Maternity Home and is spun off from the Rescue Mission to better serve the needs of girls.
“Teen Straight Talk” begins under the direction of Mary Duke. Rev. David Sherrard, with his 18 years of experience in the Detroit Rescue Mission, comes to Youngstown with his family to serve as the Executive Director.
The mat-making program helps provide jobs for 200 men totaling more that 9,000 man hours. Edith O’Connell leads a Good News Bible Class every Thursday under the direction of Child Evangelism Fellowship and International Children’s Ministry.
The Board decides the work is too large for one board to handle efficiently, so they split the work. Part of it later becomes Christ Mission Goodwill Home and the other part becomes known as Rescue Mission Inc.
Christ Mission Farm is started on a 275-acre estate of William Swanston. The farm maintains dairy cattle, hogs, chickens and a small maple sugar camp. The farm provides food for the pre-tubercular children’s camp.